Blog Hill

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Sleep Deprived Regression

Been up since five, or earlier since I had trouble sleeping. I went on a run, ate some dark chocolate, ate some apple (more effective than coffee for waking you up), danced to Scissor Sisters, and I cannot nap but neither can I think clearly. I'm a zombie, roaming this earth, seeing dark shapes dart across the room, across the page... oh they're letters and speaking boldly because I have no energy to even register embarresment.

And then a conjunct here or there, followed by the consequent; I read sentences out of order, first the consequent, not understanding it semantically. Or syntactically.

It's like I've regressed into the natural; I'm unable to draw meaning from the external world or to make rational connections. Soon my brow will draw back into an acute angle, my nose will flatten, my chin will disapear - homo erectus - the distance between my mouth and nose will grow, my hairline will recede, my hips will narrow, my arms will grow - homo habilis - I will be covered in thick body hair, my statue will diminish, my posture will crumple - australopithecines - my brow bridge will grow, my feet will become like hands, my cranium will shrink, my shoulders will narrow and the bows of trees will seem like very nice places to be, if I even can percieve, being a common primate.

And then the opposable thumbs will disapear, and I will no longer enjoy the commany of the group, prefering to hunt solitarily, on all fours, dodging the diplodocuses while I nibble on their eggs. And then my blood turns cold, and I swagger like one of the reptiles by the shores of a permian lake.

I step backwards into the water, growing scales, shrinking, loosing sex organs, shrinking further until I am just one cell, and then it Dawkin's vision, a DNA strand, no longer seeking to replicate (if we can speak in such way). And then carbon atoms on a lonely space rock, from the centre of a star, a clump of hot gases, in a dumb, sleepy universe...

1 Comments:

  • This is what we call an anti-myth...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home