Blog Hill

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Indie Flicks


"Ohhhh yuhs. Let's put on our vintage wear and be suburban and arty: Let's make a Po-mo Indie film."

Addicted, yet detached. Like an Indie Film.

I just saw Me, you and everyone we know. I didn't really rate it, although the child actors were great and it was so well edited and filmed, I couldn't help but want the movie to keep going.

Other films in the genre:

- About Schmidt

- Thumbsucker

- The Royal Taunenbaums

- Shop Girl

- Napoleon Dynamite

- The Squid and The Whale

- The upcoming Little Miss Sunshine

Elements required by the genre:

- 70's Organ Solos

- Retro dresses

- Lots of silence

- Dysfunction/angst

- An artist working a low end job waiting for her big break

- Middle America

- Close-ups of ordinary objects

- Minimal dialouge, and of that, a good percetage must be absurdist

- Naught melodrama, minimal emotion

I welcome your suggestions.

2 Comments:

  • Saw the ads for Nacho Libris the other night. Looked kinda funny, but the reviews have been fairly poor...

    By Blogger Craig Schwarze, At 10:21 PM  

  • Haven't seen many of those movies (and the ones I have seen, left me wanting to ask for a refund of the 90 minutes of my life I wasted on them).

    As much as I love Zach Braff in Scrubs, I think you would need to add Garden State to your list of po-mo indie flicks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home