Blog Hill

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Cars cars cars

Firstly, I just saw Jason whoop awesomeness to AwesomePlanet and back. Cos he is King of Awesomeness. Tough, manly, of few words, totally savvy and awesome and kicks it! So good. Bourne trumps Bond any day (even Daniel Craig's incarnation of Bond. Bond is kind of like Dr Who in that respect. There should be scenes where Sean Connery falls off something and then morphs into Roger Moore. By the way, James Bond was based on this guy:

!!!) Anyway, if you don't watch Bourne Ultimatum then.... you're silly.

So, I’m fixin’ to buy a car. At first I was “I don’t care what it looks like so long as it’s reliable, fuel efficient and has low kms”. Now I’m “I don’t care what it looks like so long as it’s reliable, fuel efficient and has low kms and doesn’t look or drive like a truck or isn’t boxy and grannie like James’ car.” I have to consider aesthetics and connotations. For example, while I want a small car, I do not want a Barina.


The kind of girl who drives a Barina I feel alienated from/by.

The kind of girl that drives a Barina has long straightened blonde hair, wears over sized sunnies, a knee length designer trechcoat and pointy toed stiletto knee high boots. She studied commerce/law or journalism, reads Danielle Steele novels and her favourite show is All Saints or Grey’s Anatomy. On the weekends, she hangs out with fashion victim boyfriend or gay best friend at the Quarry, before or after having drinks with her cloned girlfriends.

I do not want to drive a Barina.

Postscript Who knows, maybe you think I’m the kind of girl who would drive a Barina. This would be interesting because it would mean your perception of me would be vastly different to the perception I have of myself…

13 Comments:

  • The accelerator and brake pedals in Barina's are actually pointy, in order to accommodate witch-shoes.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 9:10 PM  

  • All girls drive Barinas or Barina-clones.

    It's the law.

    By Blogger Craig Schwarze, At 1:10 AM  

  • Get a small new Peugeot if you can afford one. Or an Astra - they're not too bad I think. But really if you want to go for love over money you can't go past an Alfa ;)

    By Blogger Bron, At 8:07 AM  

  • Peugots and Alfas Bron? Austudy must have increased since my day... ;-)

    By Blogger Craig Schwarze, At 10:28 AM  

  • I MISS MY ALFA!!

    The kind of girl that drives a Barina has long straightened blonde hair, wears over sized sunnies, a knee length designer trechcoat and pointy toed stiletto knee high boots. She studied commerce/law or journalism, reads Danielle Steele novels and her favourite show is All Saints or Grey’s Anatomy. On the weekends, she hangs out with fashion victim boyfriend or gay best friend at the Quarry, before or after having drinks with her cloned girlfriends.

    You have exactly described most of the girls I did uni with! I miss those guys ;)

    By Blogger Angus, At 10:31 AM  

  • Can't you drive a Barina, like, ironically?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:01 PM  

  • No.

    By Blogger The Borg, At 12:04 PM  

  • Well I thought a Barina would have been good for you.

    The girls you describe drive all sorts of small cars less than 10 years old. What does that leave you with?

    I would get any small car, as new as possible, not modified.

    I would avoid anything from Korea, Italy of France.

    Best: Subaru, Toyota, Honda.
    OK: Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mazda
    Sort of ok: Hyundia, VW, Ford Focus, Barina (Opel),Daihatsu
    Bad: Daewoo
    Run away: Peugeot, Citroen

    By Blogger Jonny, At 12:52 PM  

  • I didn't say they were the sensible or economic choices. But there's something about falling in love with a car that's totally un-Barinagirl.

    Oh, yeah - I just got back from the movies. Bourne rules.

    By Blogger Bron, At 9:52 PM  

  • Listen to Jonny

    By Blogger Craig Schwarze, At 11:12 PM  

  • Jonny, can you do a blog post on car buying for the low/mid budget people? I think it would be really helpful.

    I would be taking notes.

    otherwise I'll copy and paste your brief advice and use it...

    thank you

    By Blogger The Librarian, At 3:19 PM  

  • Ok will think about that.

    I may also post about how many girls have asked me to fix or help buy a car and what it is they really want.

    By Blogger Jonny, At 9:02 PM  

  • What about a mazda 323 or a laser, or are they too barinaesque? PS - you forgot frangipani window decals ;)

    By Blogger magnamummy, At 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home